Sunday, April 25, 2010

Tot School - Flowers

Flowers
Little Sweets has had a growing interest in flowers.  She loves looking at them outside.  She also loves anything with flowers on it, hair clips, shirts, etc.  I thought with her growing interest in flowers it would only be appropriate to do a flower theme.



Using our Senses to Study Flowers


Little Sweets loves smelling the flowers.

We took a walk  through our neighborhood and talked about the different colored flowers.
Little Sweets found some flowers on the ground and decided she wanted to keep them.  We talked about their color and counted their petals.


StArt- Counting in the Garden and Coffee Filter Flowers
We read the book Counting in the Garden and made coffee filter flowers.  To read more about this activity please go here


Flower Math


I copied pictures of our magnetic numbers on our copy machine.  Then I cut out the numbers and drew flower petal around the number.  The number of petals matches the magnetic number in the middle.  Little Sweets matched the magnetic number with the picture of the number in the middle of the flower.  We also counted the number of petals on the flower and talked about the corresponding number. 
I got the magnetic number matching idea from Lana at hart 2 hart and decided to expand upon the idea by adding a counting activity to it.   
Colored Flower Activity


I colored clothespins and had Little Sweets match the colored clothespin with the correct flower.  She is getting better at putting the clothespin on the flowers. 

Watering the Flowers

I told Little Sweets that flowers get thirsty just like she does.  I explained that they need water to drink.  Then she watered the flowers in our garden. 


Other Activities

Frankie's Fun Park


I was hoping we could go in the indoor playground at Frankie's Fun Park.  Luckily it was closed.  It would have cost me $8.00 and Little Sweets was entertained with sitting in the car and pretending to drive it.  I didn't have to spend any money at all.  : ) 

Getting in His Word Wednesday Blog Hop
Joshua and the Battle of Jericho

This week our Bible Story was Joshua and the Battle of Jericho.  To learn more about this activity please go here

To read other tot school posts or to link up to the blog hop please go here.

5 comments:

  1. Great flower ideas. I like the numbered petals as it seems to teach numbers without being too overwhelming (starting with matching and just introducing counting). Thanks for the ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the flower activities! The coffee filter flowers turned out super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the flower math. That's a great activity!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the link back! I love your idea of matching the numbers to a flower with the same number of petals. So cool! We are going to be doing F is for Flowers at the beginning of May, so I will probably steal back your idea if that is okay! :) I also like the coffee filter flower idea. When I taught first grade, we did a coffee filter butterfly project, but for some reason I hadn't thought of doing flowers! Great idea! I've been hesitant to try the coffee filter thing with Punkin, but I may have to take the plunge when we do flowers. I love your blog, by the way. Your blog is one that inspired me to join the Tot School community! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete