Thursday, April 15, 2010

stART- Little Kipper's Butterfly

Little Kipper's Butterfly



Little Sweets has had a growing interest in butterflies. She recently found one of my butterfly sun catchers that I had made when I was teaching kindergarten. She really liked the butterfly and wanted to play with it. I thought it would be fun if she made her own butterfly.
I wanted to find a butterfly book to go with the sun catcher so we went to the library and found the book Little Kippers Butterfly by Mick Inkpen. The book is about dog named Kipper, who is trying to catch a butterfly. In the end he catches the butterfly, but decides to let it go. The story is very cute. Little Sweets was very interested in the story. I was surprised by how much she paid attention.
After we read the book Little Sweets made her own butterfly. I used construction paper to cut out a stencil of a butterfly. Then I put contact paper on the back of the stencil and let Little Sweets decorate the wings by placing tissue paper on the contact paper. Afterwards I attached a straw to the butterfly so Little Sweets could make it fly.

For more story and art activities or to link up to this weeks blog hop go here.
g

15 comments:

  1. Big fan of your blog..def gonna try this one w/ my daughter..she loves "fly flies"..lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job! Butterflies are popular this week! We did a butterfly stART too! :)
    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  3. The straw was a nice touch - love turning art into a toy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Butterflies seem to be a popular theme this week! Great craft!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks neat. I bet you could do this with melting crayon in wax paper. and putting it between construction paper. THis project is probably to advanced for your daughter but it has given be an idea for my 7 year old. Thanks.

    http://debbiellbriskincare.blogspot.com/
    MBC

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a beautiful project! The book also sounds super, must see if I can find it. This will make a great activity for Mouse's birthday party - the theme will be butterflies!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The books sounds very cute and I love that she is able to make the butterfly fly around with the straw what a great idea!

    Thank you for linking to stART :0)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sweet! That's great that you let her play with it afterward.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very Sweet and creative art project. I bet my daughter will love doing this one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great butterfly, and a perfect project for a young child. How fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that it can fly. What a great craft!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a great project :) It looks like a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very cute. I think Sprout would enjoy a project like that.

    ReplyDelete