Thursday, April 29, 2010

StARt- Do you see shapes?- Shape Collage

 This week our theme is shapes.  I thought it would be nice to do a story and art activity to go with this theme.  I went to the library and picked out some shape books for Little Sweets.  One of the books we read is called Do you see shapes? Each page shows a different shape.  Your child is suppose to clap for each shape on the page.  Little Sweets did some clapping, but wanted to count with me instead.  After we read the book I got some contact paper out and had Little Sweets place some precut shapes onto the contact paper.  She really enjoyed this.  I had to help her a few times when her hand got stuck to the paper.  After she was finished putting her shapes on the contact paper I put white computer paper ontop of her creation.  I thought it turned out cute.  We also use her artwork as a teaching tool.  She points to the different shapes as I say them.  I also will have her count the shapes on her picture too. 
If you would like to link up to this blog hop or are interested in reading about more activities, please go here

10 comments:

  1. What a fun project! I for the life of me cannot find contact paper anywhere! I might have to order some I love the way contact paper creations turn out :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such color shapes...what a fun way to learn about them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We did a contact paper project this week too! I love them. This is a great project. I'll have to look for this book, it would be great for my little one

    Lindsay - Try Target in the area where they have the shelving paper (normally near the cleaning stuff).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love collages. This is the first weeke I haven't done one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Contact paper must be a big hit this week! Sam did a collage with yarn and contact paper at school today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun project, we love contact paper collages at our house! This book sounds great too, I am doing shapes with my art group so I will have to check out this book to go along with our projects!

    Thank you for linking up to stART :0)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute idea. It took me a while to find a contact paper, but we also love it here. And what a great way to reinforce shapes and colors during art time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How fun, I bet she had a blast!

    ReplyDelete