Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Book Review- Danny the Dragon "Meets Jimmy"



I recently got the opportunity to review the book Danny the Dragon “Meets Jimmy” written by Tina Turbin and illustrated by Aija Jasuna. I have always enjoyed reading children’s literature and was excited to review this book. This book is about a boy named Jimmy who finds a talking seashell at the beach. He takes the seashell home and later finds out that a dragon named Danny and a little critter named Skipper live inside the shell. Danny and Skipper join Jimmy and his family for dinner and play with Jimmy and his friends. Danny and Skipper later decide they are going to stay with Jimmy.

Overall, I thought this was a very cute book. The story was creative and the illustrations were bright and colorful. I wish the author would have given more background on Danny and his friend Skipper; however, I am sure the author’s purpose in leaving that out was to keep the readers interested and to provide an opportunity to write more books. As a parent I found the book appealing because the characters in the story demonstrated excellent manners and modeled great family values. The family ate a home cooked meal together, the children helped their parents, the children played outside instead of sitting in front of the television, and the characters in the story were polite and said, “please” and “thank you.” I enjoyed reading this charming book and look forward to reading more books by Tina Turbin.


I also got to review the audio book Dreams. The proceeds from this CD go to the Celiac Disease Center at Columbia University. The first track on the CD is a narrator reading the story Danny the Dragon “Meets Jimmy.” The rest of the tracks are classical pieces.

I am glad that Tina Turbin made a CD to go along with her book. I found the CD to be peaceful and soothing and I really like the fact that the first track is a narrator reading the story. I have always enjoyed having children’s stories on CD, especially when I was a teacher. Overall, I enjoyed this CD and am really impressed with the fact that all the profits from the audio book go to benefit the Celiac Disease Center at Columbia University.

Here are some links to learn more about Tina Turbin , Danny the Dragon, and Gluten Free Information .

No comments:

Post a Comment