Friday, April 16, 2010

Fun Frugal Friday- Homemade Counting and Patterning Tool

Homemade Counting and Patterning Tool







This was so easy to make. I bought a piece of wood from Lowe's for around $1.50. I had someone in the wood department cut it down to size. He cut the larger piece of wood into four pieces for me just in case I messed up. I did mess up and was glad to have the extra pieces. When I got home I drilled 4 holes in one piece of wood and 5 holes in another piece of wood. ( I tried not to go all the way through the piece of wood.) I messed up a few times. Then I cuts some doll rods to the length I wanted, put some wood glue on the ends of them and stuck them in the holes. I got the lacing beads from the dollar tree. Overall, this item cost me around $2.50 to make two tools. I had the doll rods and wood glue at home. I don't think this would cost more than $6.00 or $7.00 total to make.

I actually made two different tools. The first one I will use to teach patterning. The second one I will use to teach counting, number, and color recognition. Right now Little Sweets is just working on her fine motor skills as she places the beads on the rods. She absolutely loves her new toy.


As with any toy be cautious if you make this and allow your child to play with it. I supervise Little Sweets so she doesn't poke herself with it or fall on top of it.


4 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by! I am now a new follower of yours too!. Looks like you have some great ideas here. I can't wait to try some of them with my kiddos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for stopping by! I also find joy in making toys for my kiddos- GREAT IDEA with the homemade math toy!

    Thanks for following!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really nice job. I'm very impressed you made this yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I am sending my husband a link so we can make this our next family project!

    ReplyDelete