Sunday, May 2, 2010

Tot School- Shapes

Thanks to Carrisa at 1+1+1=1  hosting tot school.  This week our tot school theme was shapes.  Little Sweets loves anything with hearts or stars on them, so I thought I would introduce her to some other shapes.

Shape Matching Game


This was an easy fun game to make.  I took some envelopes and pasted one shape on each envelope. I gave Little Sweets some shapes.  Then she had to put the shape in the correct envelope.  I got the idea to use envelopes for sorting and matching from Sarah at  It's Quiet Now.  What Do You Say?
Little Sweets had so much fun playing this game.  She would go back to it and play it over and over again.  I did limit the number of shapes in each envelope because of Little Sweets short attention span and the fact that once she got tired of the game she would leave the shapes all over the floor. 

Shape Puzzle

Little Sweets spent time working on her shape puzzle.  She absolutely loves puzzles so it wasn't that difficult to get her interested in this activity.  We also spent some time identifying the shapes as she placed them in her puzzle. 

Elmo Shape Game

Little Sweets got this game from a dear friend of mine last year.  Unfortunately, she hasn't been able to play it much because my husband can't stand Elmo's voice.  It ended up in the toy bin in the garage months ago.  I thought it would be fun to pull it out.  Little Sweets had a great time playing the game.  The object of the game is to identify the shape and put the in the correct place.  ( I took out the batteries, so it can stay in the house for now.)

Shape Drawings


The weather is beautiful here so we have been spending a lot of time outdoors.  I thought it would be fun to draw some shapes with chalk.  Little Sweets pointed to the shapes as I said their name.  So far she knows; heart, star, circle, triangle, and square. 


Dora Shape Cards



I picked these cards up in the dollar bin at a craft store a few months back.  Little Sweets loves Dora, I mean really loves Dora.  She loved identifying the shapes on the cards as well as the charecters from the show.  The cards also have other games with it like patterning and a similiar/different game.  We will play those games when she is bigger. 

Shape Box



Little Sweets also played with her shape box.  She loves puting the different shapes inside the box.  Most of the time I sit with her and show her which side of the box the shape fits in.  Lately, she has been figuring this out on her own. 

Shape Counting and Matching Cards


I made these cards to help reinforce counting.  I also gave Little Sweets matching shapes that she could place on top of the cards.  She enjoyed placing matching the shapes, but got frustrated if she couldn't fit the shape perfecltly on top of the matching shape.

Sorting by Size

We talked about the difference between "big" and "small."  Then Little Sweets sorted the big and small circles.
 
StArt- What Shapes Do You See?
We read the book What Shapes Do you See? for our StArt activity and made a shape collage. To read more about this activity please go here.

Getting in His Word Wednesday- Father Abraham

We read the story Father Abraham and made a star mobile to go with it . To read more about this activity please go here.

Field Trip- USC Baseball Game


We had an awesome time at the USC baseball game.  We are Ohio State fans, but my husband got free tickets from work so we decided to go to the game.  We had a great time!! Little Sweets really enjoyed the game and also liked meeting Dora at the game.  : )

For more great Tot School posts or to link up to the hop please go here


10 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by and commenting on my post. We love using sponges to paint! I figured clouds would be a great thing to use this technique with.
    I love your shape matching game, using the envelopes is a great idea! My hubby is not too fond of Elmo either, but I really like Elmo as do the girls. How awesome your sweetie got to meet Dora!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all the shape activities. I think I am going to make the envelope "game" for my DD. Looks like you all had a fun week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many fun shape activities!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. She sure had lots of fun this week! And how neat that she got to meet Dora. My tot would be jealous. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun week! You managed to do a LOT of shape activities!

    Next week is S week at our house. I'm toying with the idea of a shape week...may have to refer back to your post for inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great shape activities! I found your blog through 1+1+1=1! So many good (and frugal!) ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi :)
    Thanks for commenting on my blog! It looks like you also had such a fun week with your little one.

    What grade did you teach before you became a Mommy? I used to teach Kindergarten.

    Have a great day!
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  8. Catherine: I taught pre-k, kindergarten, and first grade. Kindergarten was may favorite. : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the envelopes, will definitely have to try that idea! Thanks!
    Chelsea at http://veritabletreasure.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for a great post! We'll be copying the shape envelopes, shape sorting-and-counting, and your StART project, for sure!

    ReplyDelete