Thursday, July 22, 2010

stArt- Ten Red Apples

This week we read the book Ten Red Apples A Bartholomew Bear Counting Book by Virginia Miller.

Little Sweets loved the book.   It is an easy read with few words on the pages, which is great for young children.  The book also reinforces counting, great for preschoolers.  After we read the book we painted apples on our own apple tree.  I cut the top off of a water bottle and we used the water bottle cap to make circles that represented apples on our tree.  I suppose you could just unscrew the cap and use it, but that would be a lot messier.  Little Sweets doesn't always enjoy getting messy so I thought this would work well.  Little Sweets loved this activity and she continued to paint with the top of the bottle even after she was finished with the tree.  Here are some pictures of our art activity. 






For more great stArt Activities go here.

6 comments:

  1. What a great apple tree I love the idea of using the bottle top for the apples. I will also have to look for this book at the library, I think that Emily would love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think keeping the cap ON the bottle is Mommy-genius!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute project! Great idea for the bottle cap, I bet it helps little hands coordinate better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so impressed with her reading. The project came out so well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone. I guess I should clarify Little Sweets isn't reading yet, but the book would be great for young readers. It is also great for little one's with short attention spans. : )

    ReplyDelete