Thursday, January 14, 2010

Sensory Table


As a preschool and kindergarten teacher I always had a sensory table in my classroom. Every week I would put something different in the table. The children loved exploring the items at the table. That's why I decided it would be fun to have a sensory activity for my own child.

Creating a sensory activity for your own child is easy. All you need is a large container that you can put the sensory items in such as a dish tub or Rubbermaid storage container, an area in your house where clean up is easy (if it's warm do the activity outside), and sensory items to put at the table.

This weeks sensory item was packaging popcorn. Instead of bringing out the huge water table (we got one as a gift) I decided to put the packaging popcorn in a large bowl. Little sweets loved playing with the packaging popcorn. I enjoyed watching her explore the popcorn. She threw the popcorn and watched it fall to the ground, broke it apart, stepped on it, tried to eat it, and poured it over her head. This was a great activity, but I am still finding pieces of popcorn around my house. Next time I plan to having her sit on a large table cloth it will make clean up a lot easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment