Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Dramatic Play

Dramatic Play Area
I had a dramatic play area in my classroom when I taught preschool and kindergarten and my kids always gravitated towards that area. They loved engaging in imaginary play. I wanted to make sure that I provided my daughter with a dramatic play area of her own, but didn’t want to spend a lot of money. I started looking around the house and found lots of fun things to add to her dramatic play area. Here are some things I found: a phone we never use, an old camera, purses, Halloween costumes, stuffed animals, and old hats. We did buy a few items on sale at Wal-Mart. We bought the Graco baby doll furniture on sale for around$20 for a 5 piece set the day after Thanksgiving . I also bought Little Sweets another baby doll on sale after Christmas. Little Sweets also has a kitchen set in her dramatic play area . We got the kitchen set for free. Someone was throwing it out the day after Christmas. We took it off their hands. It was in great condition. All it needed was some cleaning with bleach and water. You never know where you might find a good toy, someone’s trash might be someone’s treasure. The moral of the story is you don’t have to spend a lot of money in order to have a great dramatic play area for your child. Look around the house I am sure you can find some great items. Besides dramatic play is all about using your imagination anyway!!!

Sorry this is a long post, but as a teacher I always had to describe how what I was doing in the classroom was good for the development of the children. I would like to include that in my blogs. So here is why it is good to incorporate dramatic play into the lives of your children. When children engage in dramatic play they are using their imagination which is a form of abstract thinking. They also learn social skills and language skills as they interact with others.

No comments:

Post a Comment