Friday, January 29, 2010

Counting and Sorting Using Muffin Tins


Counting and Sorting Using Muffin Tins

Little Sweets was playing with some foam letters I had used when I was teaching. I’ve been trying to teach her about colors so I got out a muffin tin and started sorting the foam letters by colors. Little Sweets didn’t quite get what I was doing and instead picked up handfuls of the letters and placed them in the tins. I am sure she will enjoy this activity a little better when she is older. This is fun activity for older preschoolers, probably 2-3 year olds. When I did this activity in my classroom I would place a colored piece of construction paper in the bottom of the muffin tin and have the children sort different items by color. There are so many items you could sort. For example they could sort pom-poms, felt pieces, foam shapes, colored paper etc.

I also used the muffin tin for counting activities. I put numbers in the bottom of the tin and had the children count that many items out and put them in the muffin tin. Once a child understands what to do they can do this activity independently.

No comments:

Post a Comment