Thursday, January 14, 2010

Homemade Play Dough

A fun activity to do with the kids is making your own play dough. Here is a recipe for play dough.

1 C. Flour
1/2 C. of Salt
2 tsp cream of tarter
1C. of water with food coloring
1 T. oil

Mix all ingredients together in a nonstick pan. Cook over medium heat until it forms a hardball, stirring constantly. Continue to stir until all parts are hardened.

While making the play dough you can use the opportunity to teach your child about colors and mixing colors.

*Note playing with play dough improves fine motor development.

Recipe Resource: Book: Miserly Moms by Jonni McCoy

3 comments:

  1. Welcome to the blogging world! I'm excited to read all your fun ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok so what at age would you recommend I make the play dough?

    I'm thinking I should wait til we get past the "I gonna put this in my mouth" phase, but I want to play with it too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm exited to join the blogging world!! : ) Sarah do you have a blog? I haven't quite figured out how to navigate through everything and I couldn't figure out if you had one.

    Sam- I think it is whatever age you feel comfortable with. The playdough won't hurt him if he eats it. If you are going to wait until he's not going to eat it that could be a long time from now. My first graders ate some nasty things. I caught someone eating their eraser. I am hoping to make some edible molding clay this week with peanutbutter you could try that first just make sure he doesn't have a peanut allergy.

    ReplyDelete